What is one of the fastest growing segments of the US commercial real estate market?
a. Luxury Homes
b. Smart Homes
c. Tiny Homes
d. Self-Storage Facilities
The surprising answer is “self-storage facilities!”
And www.selfstorage.org reports the annual revenue at $36,000,000,000 — 36 billion dollars!
That happens to be more than the revenue of the NFL & MLB combined — yikes!
There are approximately 48,500 storage units in the US — more than all the McDonalds & Starbucks!
All of this is absolutely C-R-A-Z-Y!
Which leads me to the following observations:
CONFESSIONS OF AN ORDINARY SELF-STORAGE UNIT:
- I am not your friend.
- I take your peace of mind.
- I cannot make your stuff more valuable.
- I cannot prevent your stuff from deteriorating.
- I cannot guarantee that your stuff won’t be stolen.
- I cannot protect your stuff from critters and rodents.
- I cannot protect your stuff from extreme weather conditions.
- I cannot guarantee that you will eventually still want your stuff.
- I do not solve clutter problems.
- I actually create more problems for you.
There may be temporary situations where renting a self-storage unit for your personal items is the only option. However, in many situations, another option would be first to eliminate the excess by selling it, donating to a local charity, sharing with a friend, or even setting it at your curb for free pick-up.
You will feel a tremendous sense of relief when you finally close the door on an empty storage unit.
Delaying making a decision doesn’t really serve your best interest.
Living with less and living with limits can be a very good thing!